Electrical Diagnostic Testing of Power Transformers
Transformers are the largest, most expensive, and highly critical components of most utility substations. To ensure a long, useful service life, it is critical that a power transformer and its ancillary components are tested regularly for incipient fault modes.
The training participants will learn how to perform and assess many of the conventional electrical diagnostic tests recommended for power transformers. The training focuses on the diagnostic testing that can, and should, be performed during regular maintenance intervals, to ensure that the transformer is in good condition, and can continue its in-service duty with minimal risk.
- Introduce the key components of a power transformer (core, insulation, windings, bushings, tap changer)
- Discuss the theory and application of many industry accepted, widely used electrical diagnostic tests
- Learn how to analyze the measurement results to properly assess the condition of a power transformer
- Learn to safely and efficiently operate the software and test equipment to obtain the correct measurements
- Discuss the most common mistakes that users make in the field
8am - 5pm each day
*** This in-person class is canceled, but we have added a virtual course on November 17-18 about the software used, the PTM. The webinar series is at no charge, please take a look an register.***
You will receive a personal email with all course information such as agenda and route directions shortly before the training course.
The Following Electrical Measurements Will be Discussed and Performed:
- Power Factor and Capacitance (Overall, Bushing C1, Bushing C2, and Hot-Collar)
- Power Factor Sweep Tests
- The Exciting Current Test
- Transformer Turns-Ratio Test (TTR)
- Short-Circuit Impedance Test: Leakage Reactance
- DC Winding Resistance Test
- Sweep Frequency Response Analysis (SFRA)
- Dielectric Frequency Response Analysis (DFR)
„I am a hands-on person so it is very beneficial for me to do this and see the test equipment working and analysing the results, it's great!“
Through our courses, you will gain thorough knowledge of assets and applications in electrical power systems.
Benefit from an efficient mix of live presentations of the device, logically arranged theory content and practical measurements.
You will receive comprehensive manuals for later reference.