OMICRON Magazine

Idur Representaciones S.A. started in 2002 with Rodolfo Braun and his strategic partners in Santiago de Chile with the objective of providing their experience and solutions for the medium and high voltage electrical testing market. Since then, Idur Representaciones S.A. has been consolidating this market, making OMICRON products the benchmark for electrical tests in Chile in national electrical companies based mainly on product innovation, quality, and after-sales service. How is the energy grid structured? Federico Hahn: The National Electric System in Chile includes installations for electrical generation, transmission, and consumption. It encompasses territory from the regions of Arica – Parinacota (North) to the Tenth Region (Isla Grande de Chiloé, South). It’s the largest system (32,100 km /19,950 mi of transmission lines in 3,300 km /2,050 mi of territory) providing electrical energy to the Chilean territory with an installed capacity of up to 29,500 MW and a supply coverage that reaches about 98.5% of the population. What resources are being used to generate power? 53.3% of the National Electric System’s (SEN) capacity corresponds to resource-based generation. It consists of hydroelectric origin, solar photovoltaic, biomass, and geothermal renewables. The other 46.7% corresponds to gas-fired thermoelectric natural plants natural, coal or petroleum derivatives. What are the current hot topics for the energy supply market? Chile is building up its renewable energy infrastructure and working to spur investments in energy storage, electric vehicles, green hydrogen, and its derivatives. Investments in transmission and distribution are also required to support electrification. Easing permit bottlenecks, appropriate landuse planning, and practical early-stage community consultation work that help build projects on time without compromising environmental standards – also need to be addressed. What kind of challenges are your customers facing? Key challenges along the decarbonization highway include building up the requisite transmission infrastructure and incorporating grid storage solutions to compensate for intermittent wind and solar power. A decade-long drought has impacted the output of conventional hydroelectric plants, which account for about 25% of the country’s installed capacity of 29.5 GW. It has also lessened their ability to balance short-term variations in the power system. When looking towards the future, where do you see the biggest challenges in the power sector and in general? Our country has widened its target by executing a plan to close coal-fired power plants. Today they get about 30% of their power from non-conventional renewable energy (NCRE) plants, chiefly solar and wind. That number is increasing due to the support of a decarbonization drive from the energy ministry’s 2050 national energy policy. The policy established a 2030 target of 80% power from renewables and a 2050 goal of a 100% clean grid. Energy efficiency is expected to account for 35% of greenhouse gas emission reductions necessary to achieve carbon neutrality in Chile by 2050. Thank you for the interview. Federico Hahn, Manager, Idur Representaciones S.A. idur.cl ON SITE: OMICRON IN CHILE Federico Hahn from Idur Representaciones S.A. gives us his insight into the power sector 32

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy NTkxNzY=