IEC 61850 LAN Design and Testing
Ethernet is considered a fast, reliable, and scalable local area (LAN) technology that is becoming the predominant LAN technology within electrical substations. Through a combination of lectures and instructor demonstration lab exercises, this course presents the fundamentals of Ethernet to allow students to understand and correctly apply this LAN technology within the digital substation.
- Understand the requirements of an IEC61850 OT Ethernet LAN
- Understand the fundamentals of ethernet LAN operation
- Understand the fundamentals of the design, configuring, and testing of an ethernet LAN to verify the LAN meets the requirements of digital substation applications.
- Modern ethernet media
- Hub and switch operation
- Key features of managed switch web-based Interfaces
- The ethernet frame
- Switch learning Network redundancy (RSTP, PRP, HSR)
- MMS, GOOSE, and SV filtering using VLANs
- Data flows or “Virtual Wiring” and switch logic
- Introduction to PTP
- Introduction to testing sampled values relays with an OMICRON CMC test set
- Instructor Demonstration Lab exercises
8am - 5pm, each day
You will receive a tentative confirmation within a couple days of registering.
Do NOT purchase any flights until you receive the FINAL confirmation confirming that we will still be hosting the in-person class.
*** Save money by signing up for both IEC 61850 classes happening this week in one registration ***
This class is eligible for PDH and NETA Credits.
Technical staff from electric utilities or companies involved in project planning, commissioning, or maintenance of IEC 61850 systems.
Basic knowledge of electrical engineering
DANEO 400, IEDScout, StationScout, Quick CMC, CMC GOOSE module, CMC IEC61850 Client/Server module
Introduction to IEC61850 Services
- Sampled Values
- Overview of OMICRON Testing Solutions
- Modern Ethernet Media
- Basic Hub Operation
- Basic Switch Operation
Overview Switch General Management Features
- Admin and User accounts
- Switch system internal log
- Switch IEC61850 buffered reports
- Instructor demonstration exercise Lab 1:
o Switch Web-based Network Management Interface
o Configuration and observation of syslog.
o Examining switch IEC 61850 Data model and buffered report operation using IEDScout.
The Ethernet Frame
- Media Access Control (MAC) Address
- Switch Learning
- Port Mirroring
- Instructor Demonstration Lab 2: LAN latency measurement of GOOSE using the DANEO 400
- Overview of RSTP Operation
- Instructor Demonstration Lab 3: RSTP configuration and failover time measurement using the DANEO 400
- Parallel Redundancy Protocol (PRP)
- Highly Available Seamless Redundancy Protocol (HSR)
- Instructor Demonstration Lab 4:
o Testing DANEO 400 GOOSE Supervision Operation OVER a PRP Network
IEEE 802.1Q Header
MMS, GOOSE, and SV filtering using VLAN and priority
- Student Lab 5: VLAN design exercise.
- Instructor Demonstration Lab 6: VLAN configuration and testing exercise
- Configuring trunk and edge ports for GOOSE and MMS.
- Verification using the DANEO 400 and IED Scout for both the normal and failover traffic path.
- Troubleshooting using DANEO 400 and StationScout
Introduction to precision time protocol (PTP)
- Overview of PTP operation and settings.
- Instructor Demonstration Lab 7: Examination of PTP operation and redundancy followed by a discussion of considerations for substation LAN design.
- Overview of sampled values relay test procedures.
- Instructor Demonstration Lab 8: Configuration of a CMC test set for sampled values testing:
CMC Hardware configuration
CMC Quick CMC
Optional: CMC GOOSE module and CMC IEC 61850 Client/Server module