Utilities should be able to implement technical advances economically, with maximum supply security.
Converting and expanding network assets, integrating renewable energy, and adopting new communication standards all require adaptations to protection and measuring technology. You need an experienced partner who can provide competent, independent guidance to achieve this objective. Our services are designed to help you continue to operate your network economically and ensure supply security in the future.
You can also enjoy the benefits of our manufacturer-neutral advice and experience gained from over 20 years as a successful partner to network operators of all sizes.
Our Services in Detail
- Measurements on instrument transformers
- Condition assessment of instrument transformers
- Advice on selecting the right instrument transformers for protection purposes
- Measurement of step and touch voltages
- Measurement of ground impedances
- Analysis of measured values and preparation improvement measures
Overhead Lines / Cables
- Measurement of line impedances
- Measurement of mutual coupling effects of adjacent lines
- Evaluation of protection concepts and protection settings calculations
- Analysis and development of solutions in the event of abnormal relay system behavior
- Calculation of protection settings
- Type tests in accordance with IEC 60255-1xx for protection devices from all manufacturers
- Development of pre-qualification procedures for protection devices based on customer specifications, so they can be selected based on need (network operator, industry, etc.)
- Support with factory acceptance tests
- Implementation of protection concepts on site, including parameterization and testing
- Evaluating commissioning test methods for relay systems (defining test-relevant aspects and test methods, creating test plans)
- Evaluation of periodic test methods for relay systems (defining test-relevant aspects and test methods, creating test plans)
- Commissioning tests for relay systems
- Periodic tests for protection devices
- Secondary testing of voltage regulators and Petersen coil regulators
- Testing and calibration of measuring transducers
- Guidance for IEC 61850 with a focus on testing digital substations
- Testing of substation automation networks (system verification, time synchronization, network performance and redundancy, etc.)
- Testing of automation and control systems
- Fault localization and development of solutions in digital substations using a decentralized and hybrid measuring system, flexible trigger conditions, and permanent monitoring of the network traffic
Construction and Conversion of Installations and Networks
Power supply networks are loaded more heavily and are changing more rapidly than ever before. Where there was once nothing but loads, now there are also distributed generation units. Network protection systems must consider these changes to avoid failures and malfunctions.
We will calculate the required changes by using load flow and short-circuit current calculations, creating protection concepts and tripping schedules, and designing current and voltage transformers. We will also develop commissioning, maintenance, and retrofit concepts.
Commissioning of Installations
The goal of any energy supplier is fault-free, functional installations. For this reason, a thorough and conscientious approach to commissioning is essential for the subsequent reliability of the system.
We can help you with this important phase and specialize in particularly challenging commissioning tasks, including commissioning tests for protection devices from all manufacturers and all voltage levels. We also cover the associated protection equipment cabinets, circuit breakers, and instrument transformers and determine line and ground impedances to set protection parameters correctly. In addition to that, we help you train your commissioning personnel by guiding you through the relevant commissioning measures.
Secondary Technology Maintenance
Secondary installation component technology needs to be maintained regularly to guarantee the personal and operational safety of the network. If this is neglected, supply disruptions are much more likely.
We help you implement effective maintenance measures by customizing test concepts that suit your requirements, developing test templates in the form of OCC files, or providing on-site support by performing the tests on your installations or helping your employees to do so.
Despite exercising the greatest of care, faults may nevertheless occur in installations. The cause can lie in the primary or secondary technology. While non-selective clearing reduces supply reliability, failing to take action can damage installations.
We work with you to resolve the fault and recommend suitable solutions by analyzing fault records. Determining the cause can be based either on your measurements or ours. Detailed, manufacturer-neutral reports are created containing a comparison and assessment of the measurements based on your criteria.
Training and Developing Specialist Personnel
Well-trained personnel are vital to ensure reliable operations within a company and its commercial success. We can help you keep your specialist personnel fully up to speed with the latest skills and expertise.
We offer courses through our OMICRON Academy ranging from one-hour webinars to several months of study. We are also happy to deliver customized training to your employees at your premises upon request. Options include on-the-job training*, or shadowing our staff while they perform complex tests to gather practical experience.
On-the-job training: We come to your installation and give valuable instructions and guidance for practical testing.
Find out more about the OMICRON Academy
Partial Discharge Measurement and Analysis
Our range of services includes online and offline partial discharge measurements (PD) on transformers, generators, motors, and high-voltage cables, which we can perform at your premises.
Our PD experts then use the measurement results to carry out a professional analysis of the insulation condition of the respective equipment to find and contain faults. The reports help you plan and implement the identified repairs efficiently and cost-effectively.
Contact us now for more information or to discuss working with us!
We look forward to hearing from you.